Here Are Some of the Women-Owned Businesses Growing in Forest
by Danielle Verderame
Look around Forest and it’s easy to find a #bosslady. They’re opening shops, starting small businesses and expanding local brands. Aligning with a larger national trend, these female entrepreneurs are both contributing to the local economy and creating lodestars of opportunity.
According to the American Express OPEN 2017 Report, women’s entrepreneurship has been on the rise in the United States for the last two decades.
Did You Know?
- Virginia is in the TOP 10 STATES where women-owned businesses have increased their economic clout. (Defined as the growth in the number of firms and growth in employment and revenues between 1997 and 2017)
- 280,00 women-owned businesses in Virginia **
- 5% increase for women-owned businesses in VA each year **
- 47% of all business are women-owned or equally owned by men and women
Women owned businesses account for:
- 11.6 million businesses in the U.S. (This is defined as a total 11,615,600 estimated businesses that are at least 51% owned and operated by at least one female.)*
- 9 million employed people*
- $1.7 trillion in revenue generated*
- 39% of all U.S. Firms*
- 8% of total private sector workforce*
- 4.2% of all total business revenues
- There is a 114% GROWTH RATE of women-owned businesses compared to 44% GROWTH RATE of all U.S. businesses*
*According to the American Express OPEN 2017 Report.
**According to the National Association of Women Business owners as reported in a 2016 Richmond Times-dispatch article.